Be Carbon Monoxide Aware

Carbon monoxide is formed when domestic fuels such as gas, coal, wood and charcoal are burned. It is also produced by petrol engines. When fuel burns in an enclosed room, the oxygen in the room is gradually used up and replaced with carbon dioxide. If carbon dioxide builds up in the air, the fuel is prevented from burning fully and starts releasing carbon monoxide instead.

Prevention of CO poisoning

Do not use poorly maintained appliances that burn gas or other fossil fuels

Do not burn charcoal in an enclosed space

Do not install, convert or service fuel-burning appliances without proper

Do not use gas appliances if they produce yellow flames and deposit soot on walls

Do fit a carbon monoxide alarm that meets British or European Standards

Do make sure chimneys and flues are clean and not blocked

Do have fuel-burning appliances checked regularly by a qualified engineer

Do make sure that all rooms are well ventilated when an appliance is being

Do employ a suitably qualified engineer, who is registered with the Gas Safe
Register (formerly CORGI), for work on gas appliances